Exploring the Role of Liability Protection in Facilitating Increased Food Donation
This meeting is part of theÂ Global Food Donation Policy Atlas project. The Atlas project is a partnership between theÂ Harvard Law School Food Law and Policy ClinicÂ andÂ The Global FoodBanking Network, which explores legal and regulatory barriers to food donation, as well as opportunities for law and policy to drive donation of safe, surplus food, and shares best practices for consideration for countries involved in the project and beyond.
The meeting will bring together government officials and policymakers (along with select food recovery organizations and food donors) from around the world to start a discussion on the benefits, challenges, and questions regarding the offering of comprehensive liability protection to food donors and food recovery organizations. The meeting will also inform the drafting of a companion issue brief on best practices regarding liability protection for food donors.
- Ertharin Cousin: CEO and Founder of Food Systems for the Future; Visiting Scholar at the Stanford University Center on Food Security and Environment in the Freeman Spogli Institute; former Executive Director, United Nations World Food Programme; former US Ambassador to the UN Agencies for Food and Agriculture.
- Jean C. Buzby: Food Loss and Waste Liaison, Office of the Chief Economist, United States Department of Agriculture, USA
- Natalia Basso: In charge of the National Plan to Reduce Food Loss and Waste, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, Argentina.
- Santiago Valencia GonzÃ¡lez: Senator of the Republic of Colombia
- Milena Battaglia: Head of the Office of Supply Chain Policies and Circular Economy,Â Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policies, Italy.
- Gidi Kroch: Chief Executive Officer, Leket Israel
This meeting is the second of a three-session series, and the third meeting on â€œThe Impact of Date Labeling on Food Waste, Food Recovery and Donationâ€ will take place on March 25, 2021, from 9:00 â€“ 10:30 am ET. In addition to FLPC and GFN, the web conference series is conducted in partnership with Food Systems for the Future.
Thursday 25 February
- 08:00 â€“ 09:30 UTC -6 (8:00 a.m. Chicago)
- 09:00 â€“ 10:30 UTC -5 (9:00 a.m. ET)
- 14:00 â€“ 15:30 UTC +-0 (2:00 p.m. London)
A full list of speakers will be circulated to attendees prior to the session.
This event is by invitation only. Attendees will be sent information and materials prior to this session.
If you have any questions, please contact Melissa Shapiro at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Global Food Donation Policy Atlas was made possible through funding by the Walmart Foundation. The findings, conclusions, and recommendations presented from this project are those of the Harvard Law School Food Law and Policy Clinic and The Global FoodBanking Network alone and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Walmart Foundation.